To celebrate and build awareness for World Hand Hygiene Day this week, one of our suppliers, Kimberly-Clark Professional has written this Guest Blog, all around the importance of washing your hands.
We all know that keeping hands clean is one of the most important steps we can take to avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. Germs spread quickly from one person to the next, from harmful food poisoning bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli, to viruses like colds and flu. These kinds of germs can get onto hands easily and when not washed off properly, they can be left on surfaces and passed from one person to another.
Hand washing with soap and clean, warm water removes germs from hands and helps prevent infections because:
- People frequently touch their eyes, noses and mouths without even realising it and the germs get into the body as a result
- Germs from unwashed hands can get into foods and drinks
- Germs from unwashed hands can be transferred to other objects that we touch on a daily basis like handrails, phones and computer keyboards and then transferred to another person’s hands
The solution is simple, washing your hands properly and frequently will help to achieve the following:
- Reduce the risk of cross-contamination and germ-transfer for employees and guests
- Reduce absenteeism
- Provide a more pleasant and hygienic work space for your employees
- Increase customer satisfaction, providing them with a hygienic washroom experience
The World Health Organisation (WHO) produces guidelines on hand washing and these guidelines favour paper towels over other hand drying methods, and, in fact, the WHO’s recommendation for proper hand washing technique advises users to “rinse hands with water and dry thoroughly with a single-use towel1.”
This World Hand Hygiene Day – 5th May 2019 – care for your employees, visitors and guests with Kleenex®, one of the world’s most recognisable and trusted brands, delivering hygienic solutions for keeping hands clean and cared for.
Kleenex® Hand Towels deliver the quality and care of the Kleenex® Brand in a range of rolled and folded formats, brand embossed and preferred by users for the most gentle clean. For more information click here.
1 WHO Guidelines on Hand Hygiene in Health Care. Published by the World Health Organization.